Posted on Monday, April 3, 2006
Sometimes having a blog sucks ass.
Sunday morning I received an email from my hosting company telling me that my site was "in quarantine" because it was using an excessive amount of CPU resources. This strikes me as funny, because I've done a lot of work to optimize everything, and am not dynamically generating any pages, but whatever.
Of course, there's no way for me to verify this myself... I just have to take their word for it.
Anyway, the quarantine site kept losing data, so I eventually decided it was safest to just find a new hosting company. Movable Type (my blog software) recommends Yahoo!, so here I am.
So, for the next day or so...
- Email sent to my Blogography address may bounce back. Please keep trying.
- You may see freaky URLs in your address bar for a while.
- The web feeds aren't updating properly for a while yet.
- I'm going to be really pissed off until all this is settled.
And to find out why I am pisssed off at just about everybody involved, you can read the whole story in an extended entry. Otherwise, just ignore me for a day or two, and everything should be back to normal by then.
UPDATE: Thanks to Göran over at 6ft5, I found out that MacZot is releasing a new version of "AppZapper" (a drag-and-drop uninstaller for Macs that track down pesky related files you might miss). The cool part is that the price drops 5¢ for every site that links to their page. If 259 people link by midnight (when the offer expires) you can get a copy for free! I don't even care about the program... I just want that cool ray-gun icon in my applications folder! This is a brilliant marketing idea, and the price has already dropped to $7.15 as of this writing.
UPDATE: More good news... an exclusive internet trailer for Clerks2 is up! Sweet!
I am pissed at my original hosting company, LunarPages, because...
- They are hostile towards Movable Type users. They offer no help at all when they have a problem with your Movable Type install... they just toss a bunch of numbers and esoteric server messages at you and tell you to fix it. Fix WHAT? I have no idea.
- I have no way of monitoring the CPU problem myself. As far as I know, they've overloaded the server I'm on, and that's the reason my usage seems high. How do I know? I don't.
- Don't get me wrong, if my site is causing major problems, they should have every right to quarantine me, but it's a load of crap that I get no warning leading up to the move. Again, if I were allowed to monitor this mythical "CPU number" and find out WHY it's so bad, I might have been able to fix it before things went bad.
- I just signed a new annual contract with them last month, and probably can't get a refund if I can't figure stuff out and have to leave.
I am pissed at Yahoo! hosting because...
- They really don't have a good way of transitioning from a different server. My site and email are going to be hosed until they decide my domain has propagated enough.
- Everything is SLOW SLOW SLOW.
I am really, REALLY pissed at Movable Type because...
- Their BEST RECOMMENDATION for hosting is Yahoo!, but you don't find out until AFTER you sign up that MT blogs are in BETA at Yahoo!. Why in the f#@% "spotlight" a hosting company that's in BETA?!?
- And sure enough, there's all kinds of bugs... particularly with archive builds. WHY THE F#@% RECOMMEND SOMETHING THAT'S IN BETA AND HAS BUGS??!!! Do they WANT to piss of their customers??
- So I email for support for their bugs, which they kindly provide, but it comes along with a warning that Yahoo! installs are separate from my MT license, and so I have to pay $50 a year if I want to get support for my Yahoo! blog again. WELL F#@% YOU VERY MUCH!! First THEY tell me to host at a company with known bugs, THEN they tell me that I have to pay $50 to get help with bugs that THEIR RECOMMENDATION is responsible for AFTER I've signed up! F#@% that!
- Even better? The help system isn't hooked up yet at Yahoo!, so I don't even have any documentation unless I want to look through the manual I pay for on my existing MT account! Brilliant! WHAT KIND OF DUMBASS COMPANY RECOMMENDS A HOSTING COMPANY THAT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A HELP SYSTEM HOOKED UP?!? Oh no... if you want help, you can just eat crap and go pay $50 for help.
- Seriously, Six Apart should stop recommending Yahoo! for hosting until they get their shit together. They should also warn people that support is going to cost $50, even if you already paid for a license. This sucks ass.
Overall, NOT a good day to be Dave and have a blog.
Category Tracker: Blogging 2006
Add a Comment